Monday, August 20, 2007

The Tiredness of the Half Marathon Runner

Jesper kept time, and as soon as I crossed the finishing line I managed to impress my colleague Christian with my thirst as I drank 5-6 glasses of green lemonade in a row. I doubt I’ve ever tasted such refreshing and delicious lemonade in my life :o) Just after the race Michael and Magda from the United States rang. They had done the hike from Kangerlussuaq to Sisimiut as their honeymoon trip, and we met up to show them the sights and the dogs, whom they helped feed. Michael and Magda really liked being in Greenland and it was such a pleasure to show them the town because they had all sorts of positive remarks about everything. In the evening they caught the boat to Ilulissat and we hope that they will enjoy the rest of their stay here on the biggest island in the world. Before they left they donated us two bars of organic chocolate which was absolutely delicious! Unfortunately (or luckily) not the kind we can get in the shops in Sisimiut.
The evening ended with a nice meal at the Chinese restaurant with Jesper’s twin brother, his wife Dorthe and their two daughters and Jesper’s Dad, who is visiting. A very nice day indeed!

2 comments:

Rainey said...

Nice! I know you are still walking on air! I remember the first long event that I did. I was euphoric for days afterward.

How are you feeling now?

Christine Stampe Frøsig said...

You never cease to amaze me. How long distances did you run in your running days? Yes, I do feel a bit impressed with myself and I still sleep very well at nights.

A funny thing is that my work colleagues are trying very hard to persuade me to participating in the soccer matches that our company plays against other work places in town: “You can run so surely you’re playing soccer tonight” they’ll tell me and look completely unsympathetically when I try to explain that I can’t hit the ball with my feet, that I’m in fact afraid of the ball and that running doesn’t equal playing soccer at all. Really!